Administrative Policies -- Policy 0020
State of Vermont
Agency of Administration
Department of Buildings & General Services
Title: Cellular Telephone Safety
Date of Issue: July 2, 2001
Supersedes: Initial Policy
It is acknowledged that the use of cellular telephones while driving can significantly increase the risk of accidents. The purpose of this policy is to promote safety in the use of Cellular Telephones in state vehicles and privately owned vehicles used in the performance of state business.
The use of cellular telephones by the driver of state vehicles and privately-owned vehicles which are used in the performance of state business is allowed only if the driver utilizes the safety procedures noted below.
- Always give your full attention to your driving.
- The use of cellular telephones while operating a vehicle is prohibited unless the phone is properly equipped with "HANDS-FREE" accouterments.
- Always suspend conversation during hazardous driving conditions.
- Do not take notes or look up telephone numbers while driving.
- Dial calls sensibly when you are not moving or before you pull into traffic. Use speed-dial buttons whenever possible.
- Do not engage in stressful or emotional conversations while driving.
All necessary devices to mount hand-held phones in a vehicle and hands-free devices are available through the State of Vermont Contract for Cellular Service which is managed by the DII Telecommunications Section. State employees can contact 828-3400 for information.
Thomas W. Torti, Commissioner
Agency Approval Required
Kathleen C. Hoyt, Secretary