Skip to main content

Operations and Administration

Policy and Use of Fleet Vehicles

All employees are expected to abide by the Agency of Administration Bulletin 2.3 as well as the following:

Driver Eligibility

Eligibility to use a vehicle from Fleet Management Services (FMS) is determined by Agency of Administration Bulletin No 2.3 which includes the following

  • You must be a state employee.
  • You must have a valid driver's license.
  • You must be properly licensed for the type of vehicle operated (CDL or other required endorsement).
  • You must only use the vehicle for state business.
  • Your travel must be authorized by your department head or designee

Employee Driver Status

Employees must report changes in driving status to their supervisor or manager. This includes license expiration, suspension, or revocation.

Permitted Use of FMS Vehicles

The use of a FMS vehicle is restricted to official state business. Any passengers are to be on official state business.  Using a vehicle for purposes other than conducting official state business is prohibited.

Telematics/GPS System 

FMS vehicles are equipped with a GPS fleet telematics system which can provide important safety alerts. It also collects and records information about the State's vehicle related to operational needs, such as data on movement, the dates and times of operation, location, speed, driving distances and duration, when and where the vehicle is parked, and idling duration.  

Compliance with Laws

All drivers and passengers using a FMS vehicle must observe federal and state laws at all times while operating a state vehicle. Agency of Administration Bulletin 2.3, State Vehicles Policy, governs the use of State-owned vehicles. Failure to comply with any provision of this Policy may result in appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Penalties for any motor vehicle violation received while driving a state vehicle are the responsibility of the employee. Violations include, but are not limited to, parking tickets and moving violations. 

Impaired Driving

No driver shall operate an FMS vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or when his/her ability to operate a vehicle safely may be impaired by medication, illness, fatigue, or injury. 

Distracted Driving

Beginning October 1, 2014, the use of a handheld electronic device – including a cell phone – is prohibited while driving on all Vermont highways.
Regardless of the type of vehicle being driven, the safest option is not to use an electronic device while driving. However, if employees will be using electronic devices, and in order to remain focused on the roadway while driving, it is important that drivers pair their phone and become familiar with operating the hands-free device before driving.

Seat Belts

All drivers and passengers must wear seat belts while the vehicle is in operation.


Firearms are prohibited in state vehicles unless they are required for the performance of the official job duties necessitating the travel, or unless prior written authorization has been granted by the Buildings and General Services Commissioner.

Pets and Animals

Pets or animals are prohibited in state vehicles, the exception being Service animals.


Smoking is strictly prohibited in all state-owned vehicles.

Unattended Vehicles

Ignition keys should never be left in an unattended vehicle. Vehicles are to be locked when not in use.


No hitchhikers are allowed in FMS vehicles.

Taking FMS Vehicle Home

Under certain circumstances FMS vehicles may be taken to an employee’s home. To be authorized to house a state vehicle at your home, you must submit a request to Fleet Management Services that has been signed by your department head. Take Home Vehicle Form


Unless specifically authorized by FMS, drivers are not permitted to use state vehicles for commuting purposes.  Please refer to DHR VTHR for policies and procedures for reporting taxable fringe benefits related to commuting in a state vehicle.

Parking Fees/Tolls

The employee’s agency/department will be responsible for reimbursing employees for all appropriate parking fees, tolls and other incidentals through the normal expense reimbursement process. FMS will bill back the department for parking/tolls billed to the vehicle and paid by FMS on their behalf.  

Fleet Fuel Card

State Fuel Card Policy:…

FMS assigns a fleet card to each vehicle. This card may be used to purchase fuel, urgent vehicle-related products such as oil, windshield washer fluid, snow brushes, wipers, etc. and exterior car washes at accepting locations.  The fuel card may also be used to pay for emergency roadside assistance as needed. Itemized receipts for non-fuel purchases must be retained and provided to FMS upon request.  FMS will bill back the department for all fuel purchases and other charges using the fuel card which are not covered by the vehicle lease.  Departments are responsible to review the fuel card transactions provided by FMS with the monthly vehicle lease and fuel invoices to ensure accuracy and identify any potential misuse or fraudulent charges.

Fueling Vehicles

A fuel card is assigned to each vehicle and enables you to purchase fuel at any location the displays the companies emblem. Fuel purchases are restricted to regular unleaded fuel or E85 only for all gasoline-powered vehicles. The amount of gas you may purchase will be restricted by the vehicle's fuel tank size. To use this card you must use the pin number assigned to you and enter the correct odometer reading. Each card is to be used only for the vehicle to which it is assigned. Do not use this card to purchase fuel for any other vehicle or small equipment. Departments may be charged for unauthorized purchases made by their employees, i.e., Super or Premium fuel, incorrect fuel-type based on the vehicle fueled, food or other expenses that are not covered by FMS or the vehicle lease.

A list of Vermont fueling locations with special discounts is in each vehicle’s vehicle driver kit. These sites should be used whenever possible.

Accurate Odometer Reports 

FMS forecasts preventive maintenance work based on the vehicle’s odometer reading. Therefore, it is important that the driver enter the correct odometer/mileage reading when refueling at all fueling locations – including state-owned pumps. In most instances, the mileage information is relayed electronically to FMS.

Out-Of-State Travel

Out-of-state travel in a FMS vehicle is permitted provided the out-of-state travel is approved by the employee’s department head or designee. The same rules and insurance coverage apply for out-of-state travel as apply for in-state travel.

Fueling Out-Of-State

You may contact Fleet Management Services for information regarding out-of-state fueling sites. If you are unable to locate a fleet fuel card location out of state, you may purchase regular unleaded fuel as needed and submit an expense reimbursement request through the normal process. Fleet Management Services will, upon request by the employee’s department, transfer the monies back to the department for the expense payments.

Insurance Coverage

An insurance identification card naming the current carrier will be kept in the vehicle driver kit for each state vehicle. This insurance coverage applies for FMS vehicles driven both in-state and/or out-of-state.

The State of Vermont Risk Management Division provides accident protection for all Fleet Management Services vehicles. In the event of an accident, the driver's agency/department is responsible for the $500 collision coverage deductible per incident. This is charged at the time of the accident to allow necessary vehicle repairs to be done. If at a later date the Risk Management Division is successful in recovering the vehicle repair costs, the Risk Management Division will reimburse the agency/department for the $500 deductible per incident.

The State does not provide coverage for liability or vehicle repair to an employee's personal vehicle used for State business. Your personal automobile policy provides primary coverage for accidents in your own vehicle. Any questions concerning insurance coverage should be directed to the Risk Management Division at (802) 828-2899.

Accidents And Reporting

If, while driving a state-owned vehicle, you are involved in an incident that results in damage to the State’s vehicle or any other vehicle, you must immediately report the incident to the nearest law enforcement office AND do not move the vehicle from the spot of the accident (until authorized by the investigating officer) IF

  • The damage to the vehicle exceeds $500, OR
  • There is bodily injury to any person, OR
  • There is damage to any property other than the vehicle

Report immediately by phone to the Office of Risk Management (802-828-1032) if the accident results in any of the following:

  • Death
  • Serious bodily injury
  • Serious property damage

As soon as is practically possible, report the accident to the department responsible for the vehicle, your supervisor, and the BGS Office of Risk Management by filling out the following forms

Please Note: If an employee is involved in an accident while operating a State vehicle for other than official or authorized use, the use of the vehicle(s) may constitute grounds for disciplinary action. The employee could be sued by the State or its insurance carrier to recover all costs incurred by the State and its carrier as a result of the accident.


Employees should report any mechanical problems they experience by calling the FMS office (802-828-3821) or emailing Accidents, breakdowns, or serious vehicle concerns should be reported to FMS immediately.

During Normal Business Hours

Each Department has a Service Technician assigned to assist in maintaining FMS vehicles. There is a Service Technician available from 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. 

After Hours

Should a FMS vehicle become disabled outside of normal business hours (evenings and weekends), FMS wants drivers to know what to expect. Your car log contains instructions regarding who to contact. That contact can help with towing, jump starts, tire change, lockouts, fuel and water delivery, and mechanical first aid. The contact is not coordinated out of the FMS office, but is part of the Fuel Card service. The cost of this service is billed directly to FMS. If a car is totally disabled, the vehicle will be towed to the closest service vendor. Please note: the employee can usually ride in the tow truck if the employee is willing to do that. However, a replacement vehicle is not part of that service. The driver will need to make separate transportation arrangements. The employee can rent a vehicle through Enterprise or Hertz, take a taxi home, contact a co-worker for transportation or rent a FMS Motor Pool vehicle if one is available (during normal business hours) and convenient to their location. 

The employee will be reimbursed for the car rental or taxi through their department’s expense reimbursement system. Fleet Management Services will, upon request by the employee’s department, transfer the monies back to the department for the expense payments. FMS does not have the staff resources to be able to deliver vehicles or retrieve stranded drivers. 

Employees must report accidents or breakdowns occurring during normal business hours (6:30 AM to 4:30 PM) to Fleet Management Services by call to (802)828-3821 (may call collect). Accidents or breakdowns occurring after normal business hours should be reported to the Road Side Assistance vendor at (866) 329-3471 - the fuel card assigned to the vehicle and your Driver ID (used at the fuel pump) is required when requesting assistance.  

Employees are authorized to arrange for out-of-state towing of the vehicle and/or emergency repairs costing up to $250 without prior consent from Fleet Management Services. This $250 limit does not include the cost of towing. Any repairs over $250 must receive consent from Fleet Management Services. The fleet fueling card may be used as a form of payment at participating locations. If the fleet fuel card is not accepted, the employee may use their State procurement Card or personal credit card. The normal state procedures for payment and reimbursement of these cards should be followed. Fleet Management Services will, upon request by the employee’s department, transfer the monies back to the department for the expense payments.

Accounting Procedures

A monthly invoice will be forwarded to your billing office for assigned/lease vehicle and/or motor pool rental vehicle usage. If departments have questions regarding the invoice, please contact FMS (828-3821) to discuss your concerns and/or questions and to determine whether an adjustment to the invoice is necessary.