Skip to main content
What is a Purchase Card
What is a Purchase Card?
- The Purchasing Card is a Visa Credit card issued by Bank of America for the State of Vermont . It provides an extremely efficient and effective method of purchasing and paying for small dollar transactions as well as high volume repetitive purchases.
- The card will enable you to purchase non-restricted commodities and services, by telephone or in person, fax, and internet from participating vendors.
- The purpose of the Purchasing Card Program is to establish a more efficient, cost-effective method of purchasing and paying for small dollar transactions as well as high-volume, repetitive purchases. The program is designed as an alternative to the traditional purchasing process for supplies and services. If used to its potential, the program will result in a significant reduction in paperwork and processing time at all levels. In addition, corresponding work processes associated with ordering and check writing will be eliminated.
- The Purchasing Card can be used with any vendor that accepts MasterCard/Visa as a form of payment.
- There are control features built into the Purchasing Card Program. The cards are issued in an employees name and cannot be used by anyone else. Each Agency/Department defines its controls within the parameters of the State of Vermont guidelines.
How to Use the Purchasing Card
- The Purchasing Card works just like your personal credit card, except the State of Vermont pays all charges in full. Your use of the card does not affect your credit rating in any way.
- The Purchasing Card is authorized for purchasing and paying for transactions with a total value of $3,500.00 or less per transaction.
- The Purchasing Card is authorized as a form of payment on commodity contracts that have been identified and approved by Purchasing. Such contracts appear on the Purchasing Card Approved Contract Listing. The Purchasing Card Approved Contract Listing is updated on a quarterly basis.
- Please Note: It is your responsibility to verify contract pricing on items and to ensure that the items are received when using the Purchasing Card.
- The Purchasing Card is authorized as a form of payment for Travel Expenses, for certain Users. If you have this authorization, the Purchasing Card may be used to purchase airline tickets, hotel room and tax, and car rentals. Entertainment expenses, including restaurants are not permitted. Note: Not all Purchasing Cards are authorized for Travel Expenses.
- The Purchasing Card may be used as a form of payment for state sponsored activities and/or events such as catering needs for jurors, etc. In such instances, Agencies/Departments must receive prior authorization from the State of Vermont Purchasing Card Administrator .
- Many items purchased under Blanket Delegation of Auth ority #1 (BDA#1) may be purchased using the card.